Monday, December 31, 2007

Atonement started with a simple idea, a simple plot till it blossomed into a quite complicated expression of meaningful thoughts. Some may not like the way the movie is filled with flashbacks, taking us back and forth through time. For some reason, I believed the movie cannot be put in any other way, so as to convey a message we often let slip from our minds. That is, how our mistakes can cause lifetime consequences and what we perceive to see is not necessarily the truth.

Give me 18th century any day, I simply love the way words are articulated and minds are being spoken out. Call me old fashioned, if you please. ^^ Filled with mysterious characters and passionate love, the narrator gives first hand collections of the past in such a twisted way but not to the extent it becomes even remotely unpleasant.

Even to this day, I carry with me only a vague picture of my childhood. Fragments of pink tutus and frilly dresses fill up these gaps and blanks I often sought out answers for. And this is what I've grown up treasure most. Funny how our past can sometimes shape our future.

Yes, I am no longer that little girl who goes 'Que Cera Cera'. I've now learnt that we do have a certain control (apart from God) over our destiny, not only to be decided by our parents, neither is it, by ignorance. I am a grown up lady not because I want to, but because of the pressure of time.

Oh pray, will I ever find my knight-in-shining-armor and lady-in-waiting?


I am certainly a sucker for romance, much to my disbelief! Now, now this has turned into an advertisement, a cry or rather an exclamation I'm afraid.

It is true that guys in our modern society are getting too caught up, even obsessed, with the complications of life without needing to take in a breath of how simple life can actually be. Everyday is a challenge, another competition to survive to see who is the 'fittest'. Expectation bars are set higher each day as fast as records are being broken.

On the other hand, girls are getting more and more difficult to please, each with their ever increasing long wish lists and less subtle hints, expecting guys to fulfill their every 'command'. They have lost their dignity, only to be highly, if not solely and entirely dependent on a man.

What happened to long-lasting marriages and unconditional relationships? No, no they fail miserably merely hanging on a thin thread of materialism. Love is no longer about giving and expecting nothing in return but being, more often than not, on the receiving end.

I remind you that this is not an insight on my superiority but only a GENERAL description of milk turning sour. Note: general.

Ah, where did I stop?
Yes, the world has taken a sudden turn, leaving us 'classics' behind with only fragments of our memories left to hold on to, and much less, hopes for the present and for the near future.

So much for the change in mindset =="

No comments: