Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Toastmaster Milestone

Today marks the day I gave my first Toastmasters speech. They call it maiden speech.


Yes, finally. With my speech entitled, "I had a dream".




To be honest, I went through the whole ritual of procrastination, not preparing my speech until just the day before. Funnily enough, I did prepare a speech 3 days before but I didn't feel it appropriate or worthy for public ears. It wasn't until the day before that I was confirmed to give a speech on this very day.




Going through the writers' block that couldn't have come on a more timely period (don't they always) I resorted to find my inspiration piece in this very forlorn place, already lacking in audience and collectibles.




At first it was merely a cut and paste affair where I had to craft my speech around my used phrases, but thanks to a friend, we managed to make some sense out of it.




I had my expectations on myself, others had expectations on me, me being one who is not new to public speaking as I have been involved in church activities. The pressure was on.




I did my share of work, put it as much effort and the best that I can given the time frame I have subjected myself to.




Ultimately, what was done was done, I delivered my speech, although perhaps not in the fashion I fancied. Losing my train of thought having to recall my speech, that was something I needed improvement on.




No comments: